Testing is required to make a good product, but testing can be quite involved and isn’t as sexy as creating shiny new features. So, it’s often an area that suffers in open source projects, especially considering the multitudes of platforms that open source software might be expected to work with.
Earlier I spent about half an hour* testing a minor last-minute feature – there’s supposed to be a message that appears when the Anti-aliasing setting is changed. This involved reading about the change, downloading the latest source, compiling, manually running through a test case, and summarising results. Good thing I tried the feature too – it turns out not to work on MacOS!
Cost: 1/2 cup of tea
* A significant part of that time was spent writing this post, while the program compiled.